Our selection of Geiger Counters, namely the Inspector, the Inspector EXP, the Radalert, and the Monitor 4, come with an optional Software accessory, including a data cable to interface to a computer or data logger, along with our GeigerGraph software for a Windows PC. Each pulse or count from the Geiger Counter is transmitted through the data cable, and via the software, displays and graphs those counts per minute in terms of the Current reading, an Average, and Minimum and Maximum counts per minute (CPM) over the test period.
The GeigerGraph software is especially useful for monitoring environmental radiation, alerting you to any elevated levels relative to your typical background count. The software issues an audible and visual alert whenever the CPM exceed a user set desired level. For example, the picture below shows the program first monitoring background radiation, but then halfway through the test period, issuing a visual alert because some radioactive "event" caused the radiation counts to exceed the user set Alert Level of 100 CPM.
- As a full Windows program, GeigerGraph can optionally run in the background while you multi-task, notifying you only when your pre-determined Alert Level is exceeded by actual radiation counts.
- You can configure the program so that a Radiation Alert executes a computer program or batch file, and/or sets voltage to another serial port on the computer to trigger a relay switch that stops a machine, for instance. And you can require the program to accumulate more than 1 minute of data before triggering an alert, helpful where a momentary spike could otherwise issue a false alert.
- Pleasing interface, including and easy to understand running total and summary of Radiation Count data, attractive 3D graphing, a flashing LED with each radiation count, and handy speed buttons.
- Identify your monitoring station and associated data records, including graphs and spreadsheets, by the Person Monitoring, Location, Altitude, Geiger Counter Model, etc.
- The count data for each minute is recorded on an Internal Spreadsheet, and you can make notes for each of those minutes for analysis that you may be conducting.
- The program also saves the radiation count data every minute to a text file that can be exported to an external spreadsheet program such as Excel or Lotus 123 for further analysis.
- Other Options: For multitasking, you can optionally minimize the program to the System Tray instead of the Taskbar. You can enable automatic restart of the program in the event of an improper computer shutdown. You can get a warning of a Detector Failure, and adjust the cycle time for that warning.
- GeigerGraph also incorporates a simulation designed to mimic the recording and graphing of radiation counts in the instance where you have no compatible digital Geiger counter plugged into your computer to produce "real" pulses. The simulation demonstrates the graphing of background radiation, followed by an alertable and elevated radiation count from a theoretical radioactive "event".
- The data cable has a 3.5mm stereo plug on one end which plugs into the Digital Geiger Counter's dual miniature jack. The output at the tip of the plug provides a positive 5 volt pulse each time the Geiger counter detects a count.
- The opposite end of the data cable is a 9 pin RS-232 connector for an IBM PC compatible serial port.
- Software comes on a CD-ROM which the user installs on the computer's hard drive, so the CD can be removed after installation for running of the program.
- Software is a Windows program which can run on any PC with Windows 95 or later.
- Directions for connecting the data cable and use of the software are included within the program.
Compatible Digital Geiger Counters:
- Inspector and Inspector EXP
- Radalert 50 and Digilert 50
- Radalert 100 and Digilert 100
- Monitor 4 - year 2007 re-design
- The Geiger
Minimum System Requirements for Standard Version of GeigerGraph Software:
- Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, or XP, Vista, 7
- Pentium Processor (486 may work)
- CD-ROM Drive
- Available Serial Port (or USB port with Serial to USB Adapter)
- 16MB RAM, more recommended
- 1MB Hard Drive Space
- High Color (16 Bit) Display